Friday, May 15, 2009

Midwest Book Awards, Part 2

Milk and Tides by Margaret Hasse was the winner in the Poetry category. I haven't read it yet, but have read Margaret's poems elsewhere, and she is such an accomplished poet. I had the chance to meet her Wednesday night (though we felt we might have met before but couldn't remember where), and she is as gracious and lovely as her poems are. I also met the other finalist Larry Shug, who lives in the real Lake Woebegone--Avon, MN. I am looking forward to reading his book, too. It was great to meet two other MN poets I hadn't known. I hope to get to know them and their work better. Photos of the three of us, plus other pics from the awards ceremony will be posted soon.

Edge of Forever by Peter Scott Eide won in the two-color cover category. It was a finalist in four categories and won all four. I didn't get a chance to see it, but it must be an extraordinary book! Congratulations to Peter. Unfortunately, I did not get to meet him. I'm definitely adding it to my list of gifts to give nature-and-Lake-Superior-lovers (like myself). I will be reading at Drury Lane books in Grand Marais on July 11, and can't wait to get back to one of my favorite spots on the planet.

An unexpected bonus at the awards ceremony was running into Elizabeth (Coco) Weber, who was my roommate on a magical two-week writing trip to Italy in 2005. I hadn't seen her since that time, and it was great to run into her. Her book was a finalist in the Art Book category, so I don't think it's a book of poetry, but I did read her earlier book of poems, The Burning House, and loved it. I'll be finding out more about this new one of hers.

This was a great event, and I'm totally honored to have been a finalist and to have gotten great comments from the judges. Photos coming soon...



1 comment:

LouAnn Muhm said...

Just looked into Elizabeth Weber's book, and it is indeed a book of poems written to accompany watercolor paintings by Hazel Stoeckeler. Can't wait to see/read it!